Transparency Spotlight is a searchable table of over 6,500 news stories informed through Access to Information requests. Released this summer FIPA is treating this as a great opportunity to further develop the resource. For that we need your help.
FIPA is seeking contributors who can bring their insights and expertise to maintain, develop and expand what is available through the following Request for Proposal (RFP).
A brief summary is below. The full details including Plans, Criteria, and Qualifications can be found in the following PDF.
The deadline for applications has been extended to October 6th, 2021.
Our goal is to develop and maintain a user-friendly database of news stories that is accessible and searchable showcasing the breadth of material that Access to Information requests and research have informed across the country.
Statement of Objectives
We are seeking a partner to collaborate with who can:
- Develop a clear and repeatable methodology to maintain the underlying database on an ongoing basis.
- Design metrics to measure and demonstrate effectiveness of the methodology.
- Apply the methodology by contributing findings to the existing body of work (Transparency Spotlight) and expanding the table and its functionality.
There are identifiable areas we would like to expand upon in this work. For example:
- There may be alternate sources of stories that can be examined and alternate methods to search for these stories.
- There is an underrepresentation of BIPOC and 2SLGBTQ+ authors and publications despite extensive work and research by these communities using Access to Information.
- The list captures Federal and BC stories. We would like to expand the coverage of news stories from other provinces and territories.
- The categories (taxonomy) of stories could be refined.
As work progresses, new areas of expansion may be found.
We ask that you send a brief (max 1,000 word) proposal outlining how we could partner and collaborate with you and how you meet the criteria and qualifications in this PDF.
As part of the submission, please include a supporting document(s) that breaks out key personnel, contact information, perceived scope of work to address the identified objectives with major project milestones, expected budget allocation and payment schedule, and any initial additional requirements from FIPA.
Please send your proposal to: FIPARFP at FIPA.bc.ca
The deadline for application is: Midnight PST October 6th, 2021
FIPA’s Executive Director along with a selection committee from its Board of Directors will be considering applications on an ongoing basis and reviewing based on the qualifications.
All applicants will receive a response. The successful applicant will be recognized on our site as a partner.
If you have questions, please submit them to FIPARFP at FIPA.bc.ca. They will be addressed with attention being paid and efforts made to ensure a fair selection process.