For more than twenty years, FIPA has been an instrumental part of B.C.’s civil society. Apply now to join our team as our new Program Director. Here are the details on the position, and how to apply:
Position: Program Director
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary: $37,500- 40,000/year (dependant on experience)
Location: Vancouver/Lower Mainland, B.C.
Minimum Required Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in communications, project management, public policy, political science, or a related field; and at least 2 years professional experience
The B.C. Freedom of Information and Privacy Association is a non-profit, non-partisan society established in 1991 to promote and defend freedom of information and privacy rights in Canada. Through extensive work in policy and law reform; research; public assistance and education; and litigation, we empower citizens by increasing their access to information and strengthening their control over their own personal information.
About the position:
This is a full-time position, reporting to the Executive Director. The Program Director’s primary duty is to support the growth and development of the Association, so you should be an excellent communicator with experience in project management, fundraising, and online outreach. Web development and CRM experience is highly valued. The Program Director also assists the Executive Director in service provision, administration, communication and policy work.
The Program Director’s responsibilities fall into four main areas. They include but are not limited to:
Fundraising and Development
- Developing projects with an eye towards revenue development, and researching strategies for financial growth
- Researching, preparing and submitting grant applications and reports to various funding bodies
- Developing and implementing strategies to extend the Association’s reach and bolster its community profile
- Preparing and distributing promotional materials and fundraising appeals, both online and off
Communications and Outreach
- Writing and distributing compelling press releases, blog posts, newsletters, and website items on a variety of issues
- Maintaining and improving tech/communication systems, including the website, social media, and constituent relationship management system (CRM)
- Answering inquiries from the public and either appropriately routing or responding to them in a timely, accurate fashion
- Develop cross-promotional partnerships and agreements with other organizations as needed
Member Services and Administration
- Maintaining and updating the organization’s CRM; creating/distributing member notices including renewals, thank you letters, donation appeals, newsletters, etc.; and processing new memberships
- Keeping records of website analytics, public inquiries, and member contacts for reporting and monitoring purposes, and using this data to develop evidence-based strategies and policies
- Assisting the Executive Director in meeting the legal requirements of the Association
- Communicating regularly with the Board of Directors to organize meetings and solicit assistance where necessary
Event Coordination and Special Projects
- Developing and coordinating a variety of events such as conferences, workshops, and meetings
- Proposing and overseeing the development of various public interest projects (advocacy campaigns, publications, research reports, educational resources)
- Reaching out to other organizations to create new opportunities for collaboration
Qualifications and Skills:
The successful candidate will possess the qualities outlined above and demonstrate that they are capable of fulfilling the listed duties. They will have at least two years of relevant professional experience and at least an undergraduate degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution. The successful candidate will also have:
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, development and leadership for non-profits
- High level of familiarity and effectiveness with online platforms, technology and computer applications, particularly WordPress and Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- A proven track record in communications and marketing for the non-profit sector
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and organizational abilities
- Experience and competence in research
- Sharp writing skills
- Background in media relations, marketing, and/or organization communications
- A keen interest in civil liberties, particularly access to information and privacy issues
- The leadership and communication skills to cooperate with FIPA’s Board of Directors, volunteers, membership and diverse stakeholders.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to FIPA at email@example.com with “Employment Opportunity: (Your Name)” in the subject line by Friday, January 2, 2015. Anticipated start date is February 2, 2015 at the latest. Only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
FIPA hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.