For 25 years, FIPA has been an instrumental part of BC’s civil society. Apply now to join our team as our Event Coordinator. Here are the details on the position, and how to apply:
Position: Event Coordinator
Position Type: Part-time (two days per week); six-month contract
Salary: $19.23/hour ($40,000/year pro-rated)
Location: Vancouver, BC
The BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association is a non-profit, non-partisan society established in 1991 to promote and defend freedom of information and privacy rights in Canada. Through extensive work in policy and law reform, research, public assistance and education, and litigation, we empower citizens by increasing their access to information and strengthening their control over their own personal information.
About the position:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and innovative individual with proven success achieving revenue and community awareness goals for fundraising events.
This is a part-time position, reporting to the Executive Director and the Program Director. The Event Coordinator’s primary duty is to organize FIPA’s events in Vancouver, including the 25th Anniversary Gala (fundraising event), the Information Summit (conference), and various meetings and workshops.
You should be an experienced event manager, with a background in fundraising and outreach. Communications and public policy experience are assets. The Event Coordinator also assists the Program Director in administration and communication work as needed.
- Event planning and implementation, including budgeting, scheduling, procurement, and vendor relations – in order to achieve revenue goals and build relationships with donors and other attendees
- Developing sponsorship strategy and implement to ensure successful recruitment, stewardship, and recognition of all event sponsors
- Developing cross-promotional partnerships and agreements with other organizations as needed
- Preparing and distributing promotional materials
- Proactively identifying new ways to improve the event experience and achieve best practices for event coordination.
- Managing all related administrative and office operations associated with the role
- Collaborating with staff, sponsors, vendors, volunteers, and event attendees
- Any other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
The successful candidate will possess the qualities outlined above and demonstrate that they are capable of fulfilling the listed duties. They will have at least two years of relevant professional experience. The successful candidate will also have:
- Minimum two years of experience in professional event planning, with a demonstrable track record of success
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and development for non-profits
- Ability to balance multiple priorities with overlapping deadlines
- The verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to cooperate with FIPA’s staff, volunteers, membership, and diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and organizational abilities
- An interest in civil liberties, particularly access to information and privacy issues
- Required to work outside of core business hours as necessary, particularly in September and October
- Physical demands of special events including packing, lifting (up to 15 kg.), carrying and loading
- Travel through the City of Vancouver and surrounding area
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to FIPA at email@example.com with “Employment Opportunity: (Your Name)” in the subject line by Sunday, May 29, 2016. Anticipated start date is June 13, 2016. Only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
FIPA hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.