BC FIPA has published a list of key recommendations for reform to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the Act).
FIPA calls for a number of improvements:
- reinforcing the ‘public interest’ provision under s. 25;
- limiting what the government can do without consent;
- increasing the responsibility of public bodies to respond fully to requests and in a timely fashion;
- introducing whistleblower protections;
- improving the rules regarding retention and destruction of documents;
- narrowing the exceptions under s. 14 and 15;
- extending the scope of coverage of the Act to the Legislative Assembly;
- reviewing all the statutory exceptions from the Act; and,
- revisiting the budget of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.